Monday, January 6, 2014

Do Mondays have to be so awful?


I know it's pretty normal for Mondays to be the dreaded-est day of the week. But they have become so awful for me that I get cranky for hours before bed on Sunday night just because it's almost Monday. We have Family Night on Mondays, and I often ruin the spirit of unity we ought to be feeling because I've just "had it" with the day. This has to stop!

For my version of "resolutions" for 2014, I'd like to try and improve my outlook on this wretched day of the week. I think I need something to look forward to each week. What usually lifts my spirits is making someone else happy somehow. It would be easy to say I'll "do something nice for someone" every Monday. But I know me, and I'll probably get away with as little effort as possible, such as mustering an extra smile at some other parent while picking up my daughter from school. Or count any number of tasks I do for my family, anyway. There are times these types of small tasks do lift another person's spirit, but if I want a noticeably happier Monday, I need to step up the service a notch or ten.

I'm going to make the goal more specific; that I have to do something out-of-the-ordinary for someone who doesn't live with me. I have a friend to be accountable to, but I won't likely post every nice thing I do, because it pretty much feels like bragging.

The only other goal I am making for the year is to relocate all of my fabric totes to my crafting/sewing area of the house, not in my kids' rooms. I am about half way to this goal already, but it really may take the rest of the year to finish it up! :)

I am always appreciative of any ideas or tips you would like to leave in the comments!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are nice realistic goals. You can do it!

Cherish said...

Sounds achievable! Go you! My goal is to attend Sunday School regularly. I've always struggled and I fell back out of the habit while adjusting post-divorce. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I attended in 2013.

Amy said...

Just so you know, my Mondays aren't that awful that I start dreading them on Sunday, but I do cringe when I remember it is family night. It seems like I'm the only one that remembers it and then have to throw something together for FHE or have the kids grumble and complain if I ask them to do anything. And by the time Adam gets home and has finished dinner, I'm just ready to put everyone to bed. Still trying to figure out a better way for FHE . . . Hope you can figure out your Mondays - that sounds like a good place to start, thanks for sharing.